Friday, August 1, 2008

Kimi Räikkönen to Leave Formula 1 for Rallying?

Much has been speculated about Kimi Räikkönen's future as his Ferrari deal expires in 2009. Fans the world over are desperate for the "Iceman" to stay in open wheeled motorsports' highest formula, but according to Fox Sports the current world champion hopes to one day take to the sport of rallying.
The Finn is not the type to break into a Shakespearean soliloquy. When questioned about his plans post 2009 the only words he could muster were, "I have time [to decide]."
Later the "Iceman" added, "Why should I hurry? I have a contract for 2009, which I will fulfill despite all the speculation. I always keep my deals."
When asked what he would like to do following his retirement, whenever it may be, the closemouthed Finn put forward a startling revelation that is sure to shock all but the most knowledgeable Formula 1 fans.
According to Fox Sports Räikkönen is quoted as saying, "At some time I want to try rallying. That interests me; asphalt, gravel, and ice."
However, the world champion admitted that it may take some getting used to. "It's difficult to say, because I have never done a rally seriously. On asphalt I would probably be okay but on gravel I have no experience."
He also has concerns about coming to grips with having a co-pilot. "Having a co-pilot for me would be difficult. I am not used to that."
Taking all of this into account, it is important to remember that it is at the moment simply gossip. No official press conference has been held in which Kimi has openly spoken about his desire to one day compete in rallying.
Given his history, however, it is not an impossibility. The only thing that is for sure is that the current world champion will be racing next year, much to the delight of many fans.
What is your opinion on the matter?

Copyright 2008 Bleacher Report, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

No comments: